Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Glass Arts Society Conference 2010: Louisville Glasses up for GAS

You can put art right up there on the list of things I know nothing about (also on the list: technology, theater, and 'birthin' no babies.').  I'm grateful to have attended a university that required all students to take an art appreciation course in order to graduate, but my formal art education ends there.  So my appreciation for art begins and ends at "I like what I like."

It used to be that I didn't particularly like glass arts, but the fact that Louisville is a glass-arts-rich community, with Glassworks and Flame Run leading the charge, has done much to change that.  Last Friday's Downtown Trolley Hop, in particular, introduced some truly exquisite glass arts exhibits in advance of this weekend's 40th annual Glass Arts Society Conference

Most of the Market Street exhibits will be up through the summer, so I urge you to get out there and check them out.  Of particular note, in my opinion, is the joint exhibit at Zephyr and Swanson Reed called "Glass Uprising."  

As I said, I like what I like when it comes to art, and usually what I like lends itself to the spooky/moody side.  Give me an exhibit that looks like stuff that came out of the twisted little mind of Spike from "Toy Story 2," and I'm usually on board.  At Zephyr, the work of Stephen Paul Day and Sibylle Paretti gave me the good creeps.  Tim Tate's multimedia/tech/glass work at Swanson Reed was both eerie and darkly humorous (The sculpture "My Love Live Thus Far" featured a tiny video screen endlessly looping the implosion of an enormous brick building.).  Check out the "Glass Uprising" link above to view some of their work.

The fact that Louisville is a glass-arts-rich community makes it a no-brainer to host the 40th annual Glass Arts Society Conference.  The list of exhibits associated with the 3-day event is impressive and exciting.  Seems like just about every gallery and museum in town has gotten on board with this event.  

Other events associated with the conference include a Glass Armonica Ballet Performance by the Louisville Ballet Civic Company.  (Fun Fact: the Glass Armonica-- one of the creepiest-sounding instruments ever created-- was invented by Benjamin Franklin.  It was originally thought that the sound of the glass armonica drove its players to insanity, but it turns out it was the combination of friction and water that helped the lead from the glass leach into the players' systems, giving them lead poisoning.)  Check out the event list for information.

Also up for the GAS Conference and continuing sporadically through July is ShoeString Productions' staging of Tennessee Williams's "The Glass Menagerie" at the Water Tower.  Check out the website for dates and ticketing information.  I'm personally very excited to see this particular play in this particular unconventional location.

This post really doesn't do the magnitude of the exciting glassy stuff going on in town justice, but the GAS website does an excellent job noting all the events and exhibits, so I'll direct you there. 

No comments: