Thursday, October 14, 2010

Crafted In Kentuckiana Brew Fest

The Kentucky Restaurant Association is sponsoring a "Crafted In Kentuckiana" Brew Fest at Kingfish on Saturday from 3p-7p.  And believe me, if I can shake this horrible bout of bronchitis I'm suffering from... well, I can think of no better way to celebrate than with tastes of my favorite local brews.  It's $5 to get in, and then tickets are $1.  Tastes are 1 ticket and most pints are 3.

I noted that the C-J article lists Falls City Beer as among the featured brews, and I'm kind of glad to see that.  I caught a FacebookFeud (is that a real thing or did I just create a neologism?) about whether or not Falls City counts as a "local brew" even though it's "contract brewed."  "Contract brewed" means that the local brewers who created the beer contract the big batches out to a larger brewer.  One who is, in this case, outside of Kentuckiana.  The Falls City rep on FB insisted that while the juice is cooked up elsewhere, the heart of the business remains in LOUKy until they raise enough funds to do the brewing hereabouts.

That's good enough for me.  

Other beers featured:  Alltech's Kentucky Ale, Bluegrass Brewing Co., Browning's, Cumberland Brews, Fall's City Beer, Hofbrauhaus Newport and New Albanian Brewing Co. 

2 comments:

The New Albanian said...

Maybe it's just me, but when I hit the farmers market and buy a local tomato, I'd prefer it not have been shipped in from California. That's just not good enough for me.

Then again, I'm a beer guy, and never have grown tomatoes.

M said...

NA,

Yeah. I can see both sides of the argument. I'm not coming down definitively on either side. As a cheerleader for the city, the fact that Falls City seems committed to bringing ALL ASPECTS of the beer production to Louisville as soon as they can... I do lean toward granting them some grace.

And because I'm not someone in the field, I kind of thought it was more like someone who would be called a "Louisville Designer" but didn't have the dough to open up a factory here. I think I'd still consider the clothes "Crafted in Kentuckiana" even if they were contract-made in factory in Chicago.

I guess the semantic issue is "crafted"-- does "crafted" HAVE to mean MADE? Or can it mean "the place where the CREATIVITY/CRAFT comes from"?

Again, your point is valid, but a tomato isn't the best example-- you can't create a recipe for, brand, and promote a tomato and then grow it somewhere else. If you'd said whether I'd support a (fictional) 21C Proof Brand Salad Dressing that was manufactured in Texas as being "Crafted in Kentuckiana"... that would give me a bit more pause. But still... if it was Paley's recipe, and there was no where in Louisville he could have it mass produced...

Maybe I'm wrong. Just wanted to share my thinking. Thanks for writing in, though!

Lou