Saturday, June 18, 2011

Grayson Capps @ Phoenix Hill 6/25

Dear, dear readers, I love you all from the bottom of my heart. But when are you going to start believing me when I say that I have impeccable taste in music, huh?  If I say "go to this show" then REALLY, you need to go to that show.  I am not a music junkie.  I won't just go see any show.  We're blessed here in Louisville to have an abundance of great options for music-seeing.  But I'm downright picky.

As I promised Galactic at Headliners was A-MAZ-ING!  Not only did they bring the New Orleans jam-funk to Louisville, they brought Corey freaking Glover as their lead singer.  Corey Glover, folks.  Lead singer of Living Color. One of the first notable non-white, hard rock/heavy metal singer ever.  Dude went on to star in the touring production of the greatest musical of all time (Jesus Christ Superstar) singing arguably the most demanding stage role in the history of musical theater (Judas) for, like, 4 years.  Pinch me, I'm still totally in awe. Really. What a night.

And now I know why I weighed considerably less when I lived in New Orleans, despite the awesome food. I used to go out to see live NOLA music weekly.  I danced those pounds off.

So speaking of NOLA music, Grayson Capps is coming to Phoenix Hill on 6/25.  I will likely not be in town, but sweet pickles, you NEED to go see this man.  I saw him loads of times when he/we lived in New Orleans.  And he played a show at the old PourHaus here just a few months or so after Roommate and I moved here... and we bought him a drink and totally bonded over post-Katrina life in exile.  I went to see him (alone) at Phoenix Hill a couple of years later...  He's amazing.  New Orleans blues.  Killer voice.  Fabulous story teller.  And, of course, it doesn't hurt that he's beautiful to look at.

C'mon people.  Listen to me already.  I was right about Low Anthem, Trombone Shorty, Galactic... I'm right about Grayson Capps, too.  I would not lead you astray.

1 comment:

GLEAM said...

yes yes yes Grayson Capps go go go...